March 3rd, 2015

Are you self-employed, pregnant and unsure about what benefits you are entitled to?

5310 (1)

If you’re registered as self-employed you’re probably eligible for Maternity Allowance.  You also need to have been paying Class 2 NIC or have a Certificate of Small Earnings Exception.  To check your eligibility visit here

For 2014/15 you will get £138.18 per week.  Maternity Allowance is tax free.  If you have a Certificate of Small Earnings Exception you will only receive £27 per week.

Maternity Allowance is available for a maximum of 39 weeks and you can start claiming 11 weeks before your baby is due.

To make a claim, print off  a claim form here and send to the address on the form.

If you receive Maternity Allowance for the full 39 weeks, you are allowed to work for 10 days during your Maternity Allowance Period.  These are called Keeping In Touch days and will not result in you losing your entitlement.

If you have any other questions please give Louise a call on 0151 426 4512.

Share this post

Filed under



Alison obtained a First class degree in Accountancy and Management at UCLAN University. She then went on to qualify as a certified accountant in 2006 and became a founder member in 2011.

Alison trained at a practice in Liverpool and, within her 10 years there, she developed as an accounts manager and obtained a varied portfolio of clients which has provided her with a range of experience in accounts, audit, VAT and taxation.
Alison specialises in giving sound jargon-free advice to a range of small and medium sized businesses.

Give a Goat

Give us a referral and we will donate a goat to a family in Africa

Find out more

Our Newsletter

Enter your email address to subscribe to our mailing list.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.