July 26th, 2011

Students – don’t pay tax you don’t owe on income from summer jobs

To earn extra cash, many undergraduates take summer jobs.  Large numbers are unaware that they don’t need to pay tax if their annual income is less than £7,475.

You will need to fill in a form P38 (S) which you can download from HMRC website.  If you inadvertently find yourself paying tax, all is not lost, you can reclaim any tax paid by sending HMRC a P50, available online at www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/p50.pdf.

Share this post

Filed under


Managing Director

Jonathan trained as a chartered accountant with Price Waterhouse (now PWC) in Liverpool before becoming a small business services manager for Grant Thornton in Warrington. He also spent three years as the financial controller for Brookside and Hollyoaks (not that he ever mentions it!).

Jonathan is recognised as a specialist in the entertainment industry and is often called upon to provide training courses and seminars for media professionals. He's also a bit of a technology geek and has been recognised with the accountancy industry as one of the most progressive accountants in the UK.
Outside of work Jonathan is very proud to be the Treasurer of the Tim Parry Johnathan Ball Foundation for Peace and to be on the Council of the Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts (LIPA)

Give a Goat

Give us a referral and we will donate a goat to a family in Africa

Find out more

Our Newsletter

Enter your email address to subscribe to our mailing list.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.