With the tax deadline of 31 January approaching HMRC have released their top 10 excuses they’ve been given by people who missed the deadline last year.
No surprise but these were all rejected as valid excuses.
1. My tax papers were left in the shed and the rat ate them
2. I’m not a paperwork-orientated person – I always relied on my sister to complete my returns but we have now fallen out
3. My accountant has been ill
4. My dog ate my tax return
5. I will be abroad on deadline day with no internet access so will be unable to file
6. My laptop broke, so did my washing machine
7. My niece had moved in – she made the house so untidy I could not find my log-in details to complete my return online
8. My husband ran over my laptop
9. I had an argument with my wife and went to Italy for 5 years
10. I had a cold which took a long time to go
For help getting your tax return in on time contact us.
Give us a referral and we will donate a goat to a family in AfricaFind out more