Yes, provided you meet all the following criteria:
• You wear a uniform at work (this can include a branded t-shirt)
• Your employer requires you to wear a uniform when at work
• You are a taxpayer in the year in question
• You have to launder, repair, replace or purchase the uniform yourself
• You do not already have a fixed rate allowance factored into your tax code
If your employer launders (or provides laundry facilities), or covers the costs of repairs, replacements or purchases of uniform then a claim cannot be made.
The standard fixed rate allowance is £60 per year, however this can vary depending on the industry you work in. More details on this can be found here.
For a basic rate taxpayer, this would equate to a £12 tax refund (being 20% of £60). You are able to make a claim for the previous four tax years plus the current year, so the total refund could potentially be £60 (£12 x 5 years).
Once registered, future tax codes should be adjusted automatically, so you shouldn’t need to make further claims, as you will receive the appropriate tax relief via an increase in take-home pay.
If you believe you are entitled to make a claim, you can do so here.
If you need any help with this then please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
The first step in working together with us is to book a 15 minute Discovery Call with one of our Client Coordinators to find out whether we'll be a good fit for you and your business.Book a Discovery Call
Give us a referral and we will donate a goat to a family in AfricaFind out more